The Advanced Scrum Master class is designed to support Scrum Masters in their professional development. It is intended for Scrum Masters with at least one year's experience who are looking to grow their knowledge and abilities as a Scrum Master – and the course is one step in that journey to mastery. The course will challenge you to think through and practice how to deal with real-life scenarios to challenge and improve your Scrum Master skills.
Over the two days, students will learn about areas critical to growing as a successful Scrum Master, such as how the principles and values of Scrum help guide Scrum Masters in the decisions they make and how the Scrum Master can help change the environment of Scrum Teams, creating an environment for agility to thrive. The Scrum Master role is complex and, often, a Scrum Master must be able to apply different stances in order to be effective, such as:
- The Scrum Master as a Teacher
- The Scrum Master as a Coach and Mentor
- The Scrum Master as a Facilitator
- The Scrum Master as a Change Agent
As a Scrum Master, being able to identify and effectively apply which stance would benefit your team the most depending on the situation or circumstance could prove to be the key to the success of your team.
As a Scrum Master, part of your role is to help management and other stakeholders across your organisation understand the benefits of Scrum and Agile. Therefore, it is imperative that you have the information and background needed to gain credibility in order to be an effective change agent. Throughout the class, your trainer will provide stories, exercises, facilitation techniques (such as 'Liberating Structures'), resources and more.
There will also be time in class for the trainer to provide coaching on challenges that you and your classmates may be experiencing today or in the future.
- The role and challenges of the Scrum Master
- Scrum Master as a change agent
- The stances of a Scrum Master
- Dealing with conflict
- Services to the development team
- Patterns of team success
- The important of ‘done’ work
- Services to the Product Owner
- Working with management
- Successful product delivery
- Services to the organisation
- Measuring outcomes
Assessment and Certification
Unlike other Scrum certifications that require only class attendance, Scrum.org certification requires a minimum score on a rigorous assessment. The Professional Scrum Master 2 assessment is included for people who successful complete the course. A minimum pass mark of 85% is required for the assessment.
This course is targeted at experienced Scrum Masters with at least one year's practical experience and know the basics of Scrum in depth. Attendees will make the most of the class if they:
- Have studied the Scrum Guide (required)
- Have applied Scrum in real life as a Scrum Master
- Have previously passed PSM1 or have a similar level of practical experience
- Have been on or closely involved with a project that builds or enhances a product